Thursday, September 29, 2011
I was recently given the opportunity to try out Paula Radke's Glass Clay. The three pendants above are my first attempts at using the clay. It's a bit rough in spots, as I was having some problems getting the consistency just right. I'm pretty sure I've got the hang of it now, and hope to work on some new molds to create my 'own' pieces - as opposed to using purchased molds.
I think this first batch was underfired a bit. I'd really like to see the glass a bit on the shinier side. The glass was supposed to shrink by about 25%, and I didn't see anywhere near that kind of shrinkage. I'll leave these ones as they are, and make up a new batch to compare the two.
The dichroic cabs are fired in place, and should I think have been pushed in slightly more - they appear to just be sitting on top, and I think they would look far better if they appeared to have some sort of bezel around them.
All in all, I'm curious enough to see what else can be done with the clay that doesn't look completely hideous. Google glass clay under images, and you'll see what I mean ;-)